After six years of renovation, the Carlebach Synagogue in Lübeck was ceremoniously reopened in mid-August. On behalf of the Jewish Community Lübeck e.V., our co-chair Nadine Garling curated the permanent exhibition on the history of the building, Lübeck’s Jewish community and the Hanseatic city’s important rabbis. The exhibition and the e-guide feature archaeological objects found during the renovation work, Jewish ceremonial objects from Lübeck’s Carlebach Collection, photographs from the photo archive of the Hanseatic City of Lübeck and the archive of the Jewish Community, as well as interviews with contemporary witnesses and an animated film on the fate of the Lübeck synagogue between 1938 and 1945. The exhibition and the accompanying e-guide are completely trilingual: German, English and Russian.
Opening hours and registration at:
E-guide to the permanent exhibition:
The ceremony with guests of honor at the reopening as a stream on NDR: