The non-profit Förderverein Historische Warenhäuser Wertheim und Tietz in Stralsund e. V. opens an exhibition about Leonhard Tietz in cooperation with the STRALSUND MUSEUM on December 12. The latter opened his first textile store 140 years ago on August 14, 1879 at Ossenreyerstrasse 31, just a few meters from the exhibition venue. Over the following decades, he moved his headquarters from Stralsund to Cologne and built up a department store empire in western Germany. There were two more locations in Stralsund, at No. 21 Ossenreyerstrasse and later at No. 19. After 1933, the company operated as Westdeutsche Kaufhof AG, which later merged into Galeria Kaufhof GmbH. The exhibition offers an overview of 140 years of department store history and provides information about the beginnings in Stralsund. The realization of the exhibition is supported by the Vorpommern-Fonds.
Duration of the exhibition:December 12, 2019 to March 29, 2020.
Exhibition venue: Museumshaus Stralsund Mönchstraße 38,
Opening hours Tue-Sun 10:00-17:00
Illustration: Department store of the Tietz family at Ossenreyerstr. 19, around 1903.
Copyright: Postcard provided by Friederike Fechner